- CPE 400/600 Computer Communication Networks
- CPE 401/601 Computer Network Systems
- CS 302 Data Structures
- CS 446/646 Principles of Operating Systems
- CS 450/650 Fundamentals of Integrated Computer Security
- CS 765 Complex Networks
- CS 790g Seminar: Complex Networks
Mehmet Hadi Gunes is currently and Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Nevada, Reno. He received M.S. degree from Computer Science and Engineering Department of Southern Methodist University in 2004 and Ph.D. degree from Computer Science Department of the University of Texas at Dallas in 2008. His research has been funded by the National Science Foundation and the National Institute of Justice. He has published over 50 papers at peer-reviewed journals and conference/workshop proceedings. He has served on the program committees of several international conferences and NSF panels.
- Communications: network protocols, health systems, smart grid communications;
- Complex networks: biological networks, social networks, information networks, graph data mining, network visualization;
- Internet measurements: Internet topology, Internet modeling, network sampling, synthetic graph generation;
- Network security: anonymizer technologies, communication privacy, secure cloud, smart grid security.
Computer Networking Lab (CNL),
Reconfigurable Network Lab (RNL)
- Esra Erdin, (start: Fall
12, expected: Summer 14)
- Mehmet Burak Akgun, Dual Layer Scale-Free Network Topology Synthesis,
(start: Fall 10, PhD Candidate, expected: Fall 13)
- Ibrahim Ethem Coskun
- James Bridegum
- Eric Klukovich
- Matt Radford
- Visiting Scholar
- Bei Chen
- BingDong Li, Network Security Monitoring and Analysis based on Big Data Technologies, Aug 2013, (co-advisor Dr
Bebis, employed with UNR-IT)
- Hakan Kardes, A Graph Theoretic Perspective on Internet Topology Mapping, Dec 2012, (first employment Intelius)
- Hayrettin Ceker, Secure Communication in the Smart Grid, Aug 2013 (continuing PhD at University of Buffalo)
- Christopher Zachor, An Assessment of Current Attacks on Anonymous Networks,
May 2012, (co-advised with Dr
Bebis, first employment Vere Software)
- Esra Erdin, Anonymous Communication Systems: Usage Analysis and Attack Mechanisms, May 2012,
(co-advised with Dr Bebis,
- Guoxun Tian, Complex Network Analysis of Ozone Transport, May 2012, (researcher at Colorado State University)
- Engin Arslan, Network Management Game, Aug 2011,
(co-advised with Dr Yuksel,
continuing PhD at University of Buffalo)
- Jeffrey Naruchitparames, Enhancing the Privacy of Data Communications within Information-Sensitive Systems,
May 2011, (first employment mobsmith)
- Hema Andal Jayaprakash Narayanan, Ensuring Access Control in Cloud Provisioned Healthcare Systems, Dec 2010
- Hakan Kardes, Graph Data Mining to Construct Sampled Internet Topology Maps, Dec
2010, (completed PhD)
- David Shelley, Interactive Internet Visualization from the Inside of a Sphere, Dec
2010, (first employment PC-Doctor)
- Talha Oz, Cheleby: Internet Topology Collection System, Dec 2010, (first
employment University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences)
Kamil Sarac <
Kevin Christopher Almeroth <
Mostafa Hamed Ammar <
Johnny Wai-Nang Wong <
Richard Robert Muntz <
Edward Grady Coffman, Jr. <
Leonard Kleinrock <
Select Publications (all publications and Google scholar)
- Hakan Kardes, Abdullah Sevincer, Mehmet Hadi Gunes and Murat Yuksel
"Complex Network Analysis of Research Funding: A Case Study of NSF Grants", Social Network Analysis and Mining (SNAM) (to appear). (earlier version presented at IEEE/ACM International
Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM 2012), Istanbul, Turkey, 26-29 Aug, 2012 - acceptance rate: ~25%)
- BingDong Li, Esra Erdin, Mehmet Hadi Gunes, George Bebis, and Todd Shipley,
"An Overview of Anonymity Technology Usage", Computer Communications, 36(12): 1269-1283, 2013. (earlier version presented at 3rd COST TMA International Workshop on Traffic Monitoring and Analysis, Vienna, Austria, April 27, 2011 - acceptance rate: 34.4%)
- BingDong Li, Jeff Springer, George Bebis, and Mehmet Hadi Gunes,
"A Survey of Network Flow Applications", Journal of Network and Computer Applications, 36(2):567-581, 2013
- Andrew Dittrich, Mehmet Hadi Gunes and Sergiu Dascalu
"Network Analysis of Software Repositories: Identifying Subject Matter Experts",
Studies in Computational Intelligence: Complex Networks 424:187-198, 2013.
(presented at 3rd Workshop on Complex Networks, Melbourne, FL, Mar 7-9, 2012 - acceptance rate: 25%)
- Daniel Ramos, Mehmet Hadi Gunes, Donica Mensing and David M. Ryfe
"Mapping Emerging News Networks: A Case Study of the San Francisco Bay Area",
Studies in Computational Intelligence: Complex Networks 424:237-244, 2013.
(presented at 3rd Workshop on Complex Networks, Melbourne, FL, Mar 7-9, 2012)
- Mehmet Burak Akgun and Mehmet Hadi Gunes "Impact of Multi-Access Links on the Internet Topology Modeling", IEEE International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS 2013), San Francisco, CA, Aug 14-16, 2013.
- BingDong Li, Mehmet Hadi Gunes, George Bebis and Jeff Springer,
"A Supervised Machine Learning Approach to Classify Host Roles Using sFlow",
ACM HPDC Workshop on High Performance and Programmable Networking (HPPN) , New York City, NY, June 18, 2013.
- Mehmet Burak Akgun and Mehmet Hadi Gunes "Bipartite Internet Topology at the Subnet-level",
IEEE International Workshop on Network Science (NSW 2013), West Point, NY, 29 Apr - 1 May 2013.
- Hasan Tarik Karaoglu, Mehmet Burak Akgun, Mehmet Hadi Gunes, and Murat Yuksel "Multi Path Considerations for Anonymized Routing: Challenges and Opportunities", IFIP International Conference on New Technologies,
Mobility and Security, Istanbul, Turkey, May 7-10, 2012.
- David Shelley and Mehmet Hadi Gunes,
"GerbilSphere: Inner Sphere Network Visualization",
ComNet Complex Dynamic Networks: Tools and Methods, 56(3):1016–1028, Feb 2012.
- Hakan Kardes, Talha Oz, and Mehmet Hadi Gunes "Cheleby: A Subnet-level Internet Topology
Mapping System", 4th International Conference on COMmunication
Systems and NETworkS (COMSNETS), Banglore, India, Jan 3-7, 2012 (acceptance rate: 27.9%).
- Jeffrey Naruchitparames, Mehmet Hadi Gunes and Sushil Louis, "Friend Recommendations in Social
Networks using Genetic Algorithms and Network Topology", IEEE
Congress on Evolutionary Computation, New Orleans, LA, June 5-8, 2011.
- Jeffrey Naruchitparames, Mehmet Hadi Gunes and Cansin Y. Evrenosoglu, "Secure Communications in the Smart
Grid", IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference
Session on Smart Grids, Las Vegas, NV, Jan 9-12, 2011 (acceptance rate: 31.1%).
- Hema Andal Jayaprakash Narayanan and Mehmet Hadi Gunes, "Ensuring Access Control in
Cloud Provisioned Healthcare Systems", IEEE International Workshop
on Consumer eHealth Platforms, Services and Applications, Las Vegas,
NV, Jan 8, 2011.
- Adrienne E. Breland, Mehmet Hadi Gunes, Karen A. Schlauch, and Frederick C.
Harris "Mixing Patterns in a
Global Influenza A Virus Network Using Whole Genome Comparisons",
IEEE Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational
Biology (CIBCB 2010), Montreal, Canada, May 2-5, 2010.
- Mehmet Hadi Gunes and Cansin Y. Evrenosoglu, "Blind Processing: Securing
Data Against System Administrators", IFIP/IEEE NOMS International
Workshop on Management of Smart Grids, Osaka, Japan, April 23, 2010.
- Mehmet Hadi Gunes and Kamil Sarac,
"Resolving IP aliases in Building Traceroute-Based Internet Maps",
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 17(6):1738-1751, Dec 2009. (earlier version presented at IEEE International
Conference on Communications (ICC 2006), Istanbul, TURKEY, 11-15 June
2006 - acceptance rate: 39.0%)
- Kakajan Komurov, Mehmet Hadi Gunes, and Michael A. White,
"Fine-scale dissection of functional protein network organization by statistical network analysis",
PLoS ONE 4(6), June 2009.
- Mehmet Hadi Gunes and Kamil Sarac, "Resolving Anonymous Routers in Internet Topology
Measurement Studies", IEEE INFOCOM, Phoenix, AZ, April 15-17
2008 (acceptance rate: 20.3%).
- Mehmet Hadi Gunes and Kamil Sarac, "Inferring Subnets in Router-level Topology Collection
Studies", ACM SIGCOMM Internet Measurement conference (IMC
2007), San Diego, CA, Oct 24-26 2007 (acceptance rate: 24.4%).
Local Coordination Co-chair:
Program Committee Member:
- PhD. on Computer Science, University of Texas at Dallas, Dallas,
- M.S. on Computer Science and
Engineering, Southern Methodist
University, Dallas, TX (2004)
- B.S. on Computer Science &
University, Istanbul, Turkey (2002)
- B.S. on Electronics Engineering,
ISIK University, Istanbul,
Last Updated on Nov 22, 2013.