- Post-Doctorate, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Rice University, 2014
- Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Florida, 2012
- M.A.Sc., Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of British Columbia, 2007
Arslan Munir is currently a tenure-track Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) at the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR). He was a postdoctoral research associate in the Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) department at Rice University, Houston, Texas, USA from May 2012 to June 2014. He received his M.A.Sc. in ECE from the University of British Columbia (UBC), Vancouver, Canada, in 2007 and his Ph.D. in ECE from the University of Florida (UF), Gainesville, Florida, USA, in 2012. He also worked as a visiting graduate research student at the University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada for one semester during his Ph.D. From 2007 to 2008, he worked as a software development engineer at Mentor Graphics in the Embedded Systems Division. He was the recipient of many academic awards including the Gold Medals for the best performance in Electrical Engineering, academic Roll of Honor, and doctoral fellowship from Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC). He received a Best Paper award at the IARIA International Conference on Mobile Ubiquitous Computing, Systems, Services and Technologies (UBICOMM) in 2010. His current research interests include embedded and cyber-physical systems, secure and trustworthy systems, computer architecture, multicore, parallel computing, fault tolerance, and computer security.
Arslan Munir, Ann Gordon-Ross, and Sanjay Ranka, "Modeling and Optimization of Parallel and Distributed Embedded Systems", ISBN: 978-1-119-08641-3, Wiley-IEEE Press, 400 pages, February 2016. Publisher's Link
- [January 2017] Arslan Munir, Prasanna Kansakar, and Samee U. Khan, "IFCIoT: Integrated Fog Cloud IoT Architectural Paradigm for Future Internet of Things", IEEE Consumer Electronics (CE) Magazine, July 2017 (accepted for publication).
- [January 2017] Arslan Munir, "Safety Assessment and Design of Dependable Cybercars", IEEE Consumer Electronics (CE) Magazine, April 2017 (accepted for publication).
- [January 2017] Bikash Poudel and Arslan Munir, "Design and Evaluation of a Novel ECU Architecture for Secure and Dependable Automotive CPS", Proc. of IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference (CCNC), Las Vegas, Nevada, January 2017. (acceptance rate: 34.8%) PDF
- [January 2017] Raj Mani Shukla and Arslan Munir, "An Efficient Computation Offloading Architecture for the Internet of Things (IoT) Devices", Proc. of IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference (CCNC), Las Vegas, Nevada, January 2017. (acceptance rate: 34.8%) PDF
- [December 2016] Raj Mani Shukla, Prasanna Kansakar, and Arslan Munir, "A Neural Network-based Appliance Scheduling Methodology for Smart Homes and Buildings with Multiple Power Sources", Proc. of IEEE International Symposium on Nanoelectronic and Information Systems (iNIS), Gwalior, India, December 2016. (acceptance rate: 44%) PDF
- [December 2016] Raj Mani Shukla and Arslan Munir, "A Computation Offloading Scheme Leveraging Parameter Tuning for Real-time IoT Devices", Proc. of IEEE International Symposium on Nanoelectronic and Information Systems (iNIS), Gwalior, India, December 2016. (acceptance rate: 44%) PDF
- [July 2016] Prasanna Kansakar and Arslan Munir, "A Design Space Exploration Methodology for Parameter Optimization in Multicore Processors", Proc. of IEEE Computer Society Annual Symposium on VLSI (ISVLSI), Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, July 2016. (acceptance rate:32%) PDF
Prospective Ph.D. students: I currently do not have openings for new M.S. and/or Ph.D. students.
I am primarily seeking Ph.D. students who have done their Masters in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science. Please look at my research interests and research overview to find out if you are interested in doing research on any listed (and/or related) topic or projects. Students with publications in IEEE/ACM/Elsevier journals or IEEE/ACM conferences are encouraged to apply. Masters student with outstanding credentials and willing to do a Ph.D. can also apply. Masters students who want to work on their thesis are also welcome to discuss a thesis research topic that falls within my research interests. If you meet these criteria, please send me your CV and any other information such as published papers or completed projects (in industry) that will strengthen your application.