Constitution for CSE Graduate Student Club
We, the graduate students in Computer Science and Engineering (CSE), recognizing the need for collaboration and interaction among researchers or interested graduate students, do hereby establish a graduate student club and bind ourselves to abide by the provisions of the following constitution bylaws.
Article 1. Name:
The organization shall be known as the CSE Graduate Student Club of the University of Nevada, Reno.
Article 2. Aim and Purpose
The aim and purpose of the club is to:
- Increase academic and social interaction among all CSE graduate students.
- Act as a platform for graduate students of other departments to collaborate with computer science researchers.
- Organize regular events and workshops in different labs of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering where graduate students can participate and be acquainted with state of the art research.
- Inspire CSE graduate students to participate in different co-curricular activities held in the campus.
Article 3. Structure
- There shall be an executive council that shall have authority on all matters, elected by the general voting membership of the club.
- The executive council shall be comprised of a President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer, each serving a 1 year term
- The executive council shall be renewed at the beginning of every academic year.
Article 4. Membership
General membership of the club shall be open to all UNR students. There shall be two types of membership: Voting and Non-voting members.
- A voting member must be a graduate student or a CSE faculty member. Voting members can nominate themselves for next academic year’s council. Voting members shall have the right to elect the executive council and vote on any matter that has been assigned for decision in a meeting.
- Non-voting members can be any interested person affiliated with UNR. These members would be notified about the events and can participate in those events.
Article 5. Officers
- President: The President shall be the Chief Executive, the presiding officer of all meetings, and shall be responsible and accountable for all aspects of its operation. The President shall provide leadership and motivation to the members in accordance with the aim and purpose of the club. The President, upon consultation with the Vice-President, shall determine the dates and times of all meetings. S/he shall perform other responsibilities as authorized by the Executive Committee.
- Vice-President: The Vice-President shall assist the President in the performance of his/her duties. The Vice-President shall perform President’s duties in the absence of the President and be first in line of succession to the President in the event of a vacancy. S/he shall organize club activities and communicate with members and other University associations via emails, phone calls, etc.
- Secretary: The Secretary shall keep minutes of all meetings. S/he shall be responsible for maintaining current membership lists and helping other executive members to organize events.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer shall be responsible for all financial matters. The treasurer will be responsible for all necessary paperwork with the Student Activities Office and shall be a signatory, along with the President, for the funds.
Article 6. Meetings
The President of the club will communicate with members at least once per month through email communication. The club shall meet at least once per month during the active semester. Time and place shall be notified to the members through email.
Article 7. Non-discrimination clause:
The CSE Graduate Student Club does not and shall not discriminate against individuals on the basis of age, color, creed, national origin, race, gender, sexual orientation, disability or socioeconomic status.
Article 8. Amendments
Members of the club at a designated session may propose an amendment to the constitution. This constitution may be amended by two thirds of the voting members.