CPE 401/601 Computer Communication Networks
Lab 1: Establishing a Local Area Network with a Router
Due on Wednesday, Feb 15 at 1:00 pm
Complete the 1st lab posted on WebCampus and when applicable insert snapshots of your configuration to answer in-lab questions.
- What is the difference between a switch and a router?
- Write the syntax for an ifconfig command that seths the IP address of the interface eth0 to 192.168.5.5/16 with broadcast address 192.168.255.255.
- How does a router determine whether datagrams to a particular host can be directly delivered through one of its interfaces?
- What is the default maximum TTL value used by traceroute when sending UDP datagrams?
- What is the difference between a network IP address and a network prefix?
- What is the network prefix of IP address 192.168.5.5/24?
- Explain the role of port numbers in TCP and UDP.
- How do TCP and UDP decide the maximum size of a datagram?
- Are domain names case sensitive? Is there any constraint on the length of domain names?
- What are advantages of using a thread instead of a process?
What to turn in A soft-copy of your results and answers to the questions to be uploaded to WebCampus.